Early morning. Hopewell, Virginia.
We headed to Appomattox Manor, a former plantation. During the battle of Petersburg, the the manor became the Union Headquarters. The house sits on a point where the James River and the Appomattox River come together.
The home was owned by Dr. Richard Eppes. When the war started, he joined the Confederates to become a surgeon at the Petersburg Hospital. His family stayed until the Union army took over (1861) and then they fled to a safer place. When the war came to Petersburg, they left again – this time to Philadelphia.
When Dr. Eppes came back after the war, he found his house ruined and the plantation destroyed. His family was not able to come back until 1866.