Renting a house or flat in Australia is a relatively simple process, but it is important to follow a few steps to make sure you find a suitable place and sign a fair lease. Here are some tips and steps to follow:
- Search for properties online: There are many online property websites and apps in Australia, such as realestate.com.au and domain.com.au, that allow you to search for properties in your area of interest. You can also search local newspapers, billboards or ask friends and colleagues.
- Make a list of properties: Make a list of properties you are interested in and contact letting agents or landlords to schedule a viewing.
- Visit properties: Visit properties in person to make sure they meet your requirements and are in good condition. Pay attention to details such as security, lighting, amenities, location and nearby public transport.
- Submit an application: If you are interested in a property, submit an application to the rental agent or landlord. The application usually includes information about you, such as your job, income and references.
- Sign the lease: If your application is accepted, the next step is to sign a lease, which is a legal agreement between you and the landlord. This contract will set out the terms and conditions of the tenancy, including the length of the lease, rental value, payment terms, maintenance responsibilities and any other relevant clauses.
- Pay the deposit and rent: Once you have signed the contract, you may be required to pay a deposit and the first month’s rent. Make sure you understand the payment terms and any other charges associated with the property.
- Conduct a walk-through inspection: Before you move in, it is important to conduct a walk-through inspection to document any existing damages or problems with the property. This will help you avoid any disputes with the landlord in the future.
When you want to access a Lease in Australia you will need to complete a condition report on the property you intend to lease.
This report will be done with the help of the landlords who are going to lease you, as in most cases they will share with you a form where you will be able to write down any irregularities or imperfections that you may observe in the property.
Normally the deadline for submitting this form is 7 days after you arrive to live in the lease, this time is prudent to review any kind of novelty that you find in it. This is very important because if you do not do this, at the end of the lease, when you have to return the lease in Australia, you may be charged for any damage that you have failed to report.
When leasing a Lease in Australia, it is also very important that you have a good amount of money, as most lessees in the country will ask for some proof of income.
Yes, as well as the proof of income that you will be asked for when you enter the country, when you are going to rent a lease in Australia you will also need to provide proof of your income, this way the tenants will know that you will be able to pay for your stay in their house or flat and they will be more relaxed at the time of making the contract. Having a good income will make the leasing process much easier and quicker.