1. How to bake a pie.
2. The words to Mairzy Oats.
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe.
3. Proverbs 3:5-6
4. To ace a question on a geography test about why a city was built where the city was built – put down “because of the river/ocean/lake” – and if you don’t know which one it is, just put down “because of the water.”
5. How to play Chinese Checkers.
6. The words to Listen my children, your father is dead (the poem she had to learn in grade school).
Your father is dead.
From his old coats
I’ll make you little jackets;
I’ll make you little trousers
From his old pants.
There’ll be in his pockets
Things he used to put there,
Keys and pennies,
Covered with tobacco;
Dan shall have the pennies
To save in his bank;
Anne shall have the keys
To make a pretty noise with.
Life must go on,
And the dead be forgotten;
Life must go on,
Though good men die.
Anne, eat your breakfast;
Dan, take your medicine.
Life must go on;
I forget just why.
7. Loudly telling your mother (while standing in line for an international flight to a war-torn country) that the name she gave the airline clerk wasn’t her real name – is NOT a smart thing to do either politically or from the getting-in-BIG-trouble-from-your-parents point of view. (She gave her maiden name as her middle name which is actually what they wanted her to do.)
8. How to sew using four different patterns to make one dress.
9. That it’s important to not only care about the BIG things in your kid’s life, but the little things like the names of your kids’ friends and what boy or girl they like and their favorite ball players.
10. That holding a grudge accomplishes nothing. That half the time the person you’re holding a grudge against doesn’t even know about it and the rest of the time – doesn’t care. So, you’re only hurting yourself.
11. That being a good pastor’s wife isn’t about how many church ministries you’re involved in – it’s how well you support your husband.
12. That it’s important to put one foot in front of the other and keep going when hard things happen in your life.
I LOVE YOU, MOM. YOU’RE THE BEST!