To obtain an eTA travel permit for Canada, you must have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country and a valid email address. The application process is done online and costs only $7 CAD. Personal information such as full name, date of birth and medical history is required. Additional information, such as employment history, may also be required. Once an eTA is obtained, it is valid for five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.
The eTA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) permit is a travel document that allows foreign visitors to enter Canada by air. Here are the requirements for obtaining an eTA from Canada:
- Nationality: You must be a citizen of a country that is eligible for a Canadian eTA permit. This includes countries such as Colombia, Mexico, Chile, Spain, among others. You can check eligibility on Canada’s official eTA website.
- Passport: You must have a valid and current passport from your country of citizenship.
- Intention to visit: You must intend to visit Canada for tourism, business or transit.
- Duration of stay: You must have a planned stay of no more than 6 months in Canada.
- No criminal record: You must be eligible to enter Canada and have no criminal record.
- Payment of fee: You must pay the Canadian eTA application fee. Payment can be made online with a credit or debit card.
- It is important to note that if you have a valid Canadian visa, you do not need an eTA to enter Canada by air.
- To apply for a Canadian eTA, you must complete an online form on Canada’s official eTA website. Approval is usually granted within minutes, but in some cases it may take longer.
In summary, the requirements for obtaining a Canadian eTA include having an eligible nationality, a valid passport, intending to visit Canada for tourism, business or transit, having no criminal record, having a planned stay of no more than 6 months, and paying the application fee.
Do you want to apply for an eTA?
Applying for an eTA Canada permit is not for everyone as you must meet certain requirements depending on your country and whether you are arriving by air, land or sea.
There are 4 types of travellers that the Canadian government has designated as requiring or not requiring an eTA Canada permit:
Travellers requiring an eTA Canada permit
If you are an international traveller arriving by airline and you are exempt from visa requirements, you will be required to obtain an eTA permit to enter Maple Leaf country. You will not be required to obtain a permit to enter by any other means such as land or sea.
Please remember before applying that:
- You must be a member of one of the 55 countries that have the benefit of visa exemption for Maple Leaf country.
- Have no legal problems or convictions.
- Visit the country either for tourism, business or transit for up to 6 months.
- Be in good health.
- Have strong links with the country of origin that ensure a return home.
Travellers who may be eligible to apply for an eTA Canada permit
If you are a citizen of one of the visa-required countries such as Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania you may be eligible to apply for an eTA Canada permit by air. If you go by other means you will be required to obtain a visitor’s visa.
Travellers who cannot apply for an eTA Canada permit and are required to have other identification
Canadian citizens, including dual nationals, will only need a valid Canadian passport to enter the country. And, if you have both US and Canadian nationality, you will only need a valid passport from either country, but for practical reasons it is best to present your Canadian passport.